I am a Procrastinator. It’s a word I’d use to describe myself often. I am a slave to my calendar and schedule. And I’ll admit that it has helped me move forward in leaps and bounds when it comes to some aspects of my life. I was being hard on myself earlier…thinking about the weekend and how little I felt I’d accomplished off my “To-Do” list in my head. But then I started to think about what I DID do this weekend. Maybe I’ve been looking at it in the wrong perspective.
1. Finished most of the house and my personal laundry washed, folded and put away.
2. Prepped all of the mini-me’s school registration paperwork and things she’d need for sign up.
3. Went for a walk with my 3 year old son
4. Finished the last episodes from a great show series and then managed to even watch the movie that followed.
5. Went and had an amazing pancake breakfast this morning. My son enjoyed the blueberry pancakes and bacon and grapes from my plate. 🙂 Was nice that he behaved well in the restaurant today.
6. Enjoyed a snuggly sunday morning.
7. Enjoyed bath time with the son twice – although I swear he gets me wetter than him sometimes. 🙂
8. I baked cookies, and tried out a funky chipotle ancho chili chicken recipe
9. I mopped and swept the kitchen floor and downstairs hall areas
10. I sorted through a couple of bags and boxes in my office
11. I read a couple of books to the little man, played tons of dinosaurs and cars and merrily chased each other through the house on multiple occasions throughout the weekend.
12. I wrote in my blog and got a little more done on the piece of art I’m working on.
13. I booked the flights for my vacation in November. Can I just say, sooo excited for this. I can’t believe it. I don’t know how I’ve pulled it off, but it really looks like I’m going to get a good vacation. To turn a negative time of year into such an incredible positive. To get to unwind and get away from all the pressures of work and kids for a week. BLISS!!
14. Got all my grocery shopping for the next couple of weeks completed.
15. Helped the mini-me look at planning her cosplay outfit.
16. Had a long chat with the bro.
When I really start to list out all that I did do this weekend. Yea, ok, so I didn’t get to run the vacuum a I’d planned. And I didn’t get to the oil change I need to do. I had high expectations of myself, but what I did have was just as valuable. I had some wonderful experiences with my family and loved ones. Perhaps it’s time to admit that sometimes, we get so focused on the doing, that we forget to look at the living. I have to remind myself that yes, I’ve got to work on all those things on my to-do list, but at the same time, I also need to work on me. And the only way to work on me, is to find the time to do the things that make me and those I love happy.
I look at that list and suddenly don’t feel like a procrastinator anymore.